Friday, November 20, 2009

Blog #11 (Blog #8)

My goal:
Improve my teaching skills to understand if my students are grasping the material I’m teaching correctly.

How I will measure progress towards my Goal:
I will teach my students a specific topic at the end of the lab section to evaluate my teaching skills, and I will check if they are grasping the material I’m teaching to them. I will have an in-class assignment by using the Tree data structure from Computer Science. I will let my students work on the assignment. I will survey the students on the effectiveness of my explanation of the topic and the relevance of the assignment with respect to what I’m teaching. I will know I have accomplished my goal if everyone in my class agrees that the way I explain the topic is relevant to the assignment. I will get this information from the survey and by talking with each student individually (this is a small class (5 students), so it seems reasonable).

How I know that my Goal is realistic and do-able:
I will read material on teaching skills during the month of October and November. I will analyze professor’s teaching philosophies and get an idea on how to be a better instructor. I will keep attending GRAD 6100 class and meetings to get a better understanding of teaching skills. I will keep working on my portfolio, especially in my teaching philosophy and by writing my own set of weaknesses and strengths. I will ask professors to review my teaching philosophy, and to guide me with my teaching skills such as communication, performance, behavior, etc. I will ask my colleagues to evaluate my performance for the rest of the semester (November) during my lab sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment